Google is still one of the biggest drivers of business online. Getting that number one ranking is a goal for many business owners.
How do you get to the top of the search results? Other than getting an SEO audit, here are five things I’ve learned in my 11 years of working in B2B digital marketing and charity digital marketing, our clients that I feel business owners need to understand about how Google rankings work.
- The long tail is what really matters. In his 2004 blog post about the Long Tail, which eventually became a book in 2006, Chris Anderson, Editor/founder of Wired Magazine wrote about a significant shift in how people search for and buy products: they use multiple words in their search queries. When focusing on what keyword or keywords you should focus on, it is important to think long tail and not just one term like “computers”.
- Plan your keywords and then write the content. For many website owners, choosing keywords is something that is done afterwards.To truly make a website that gets high rankings, this should be an important part of your initial planning process.
- Google loves naturally written text, as opposed to the “keyword spam” you see on some sites. I have no idea how they do it, but Google’s team are able to read and detect naturally written text. So whatever you do, don’t fake it!
- Use text links whenever possible – it helps Google’s robots navigate your site, and also gives them tips about the type of content the page contains.
- Getting high rankings is not a one-time thing. No matter what that spam e-mail says – there is no “set it and forget it” way to get good rankings. It requires work and ongoing link building.
Get Started Today
Start getting the online leads your quality business deserves today. Get a free no-obligation initial 30 minute consultation from one of our Google Certified Experts.
An EnvisionUP expert will respond within one business day or less with the next steps.